Monday, March 11, 2013

Book Review: Complete Book of Tarot Spreads

As I get myself up and running again, I'll be starting a number of projects to serve my clients, friends and students. Book Reviews is one such project.

Tarot With Durriken is, of course, a blog devoted mostly to living and working with the Tarot Cards. However, there are a number of other subjects that we explore here as well. The Spiritual Process of the Tarot Cards leads its users toward many subjects, from magic and astrology, to science and psychology, all in the pursuit of living an enlightened and enchanting incarnation.

Today, I'll be talking about a book I purchased a while ago, Complete Book of Tarot Spreads, available for purchase from Amazon.com.




Written by Evelin Burger & Johannes Fiebig, in the Preface we are informed that many of the approaches taken in the book were gathered from Fiebig's seminars over the years. With 122 different layouts inside, this book can be used by both novices and initiates of the Mysteries of the Tarot.

One of the interesting things about this book is it's Chapter structure. With only 3 chapters, it doesn't sound like a very useful (or long) book, but the page count is a healthy 192, with a number of images useful in helping the reader use the spreads contained.

The first chapter, takes us through practicing the tarot (in fact, that's the name of the chapter), and is 37 pages long. We're introduced to concepts such as the Personality and Year Cards, told about large layouts (using all 78 cards of the Tarot) and we meet some information on Theme Cards.

The meat of the book, however, is the second chapter: Layouts. Start with the Card of the Day, the first spread listed in this chapter, and then start exploring the other layouts that have been rendered with easy to understand instructions from start to finish. Some of my favorites are #53 the Inner Strength Spread, #85 The Road to the Solution Spread, and of course, #103 & #104. You'll have to buy the book to find out what those are--I'm not going to spoil the surprise!

The final chapter, Tarot and Astrology explores the interconnections of these two modalities.

Overall, I'm mostly happy with this purchase. I, would have preferred that the authors discussed creating your own spreads, but I guess that leaves an opening for a future book of my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment